Saturday, May 2, 2009

Reader No. 1

Yesterday, I had lunch with my sister who had a day off from work and I'm...still unemployed. I had sent her the first 100 pages of my manuscript and the outline of my novel the day prior so that she could print it out at work (ssshhh!). My sister was my first reader because a) she's my sister and trust is a given and b) she's also a romance fan. Over lunch she told me she began reading it. Her opinion: writing is solid but the plot could use work.

Hmmm.

Romance novels are strongly driven by the plot and characters. Without it, well, you don't have much but a well written but flat book.

My dilemma now is whether or not I should rethink the plot or to plod along and finish the bulk of the book and go back for rewrites. Sister: just write it all out and worry about plot later. My gut: write it out and worry about the plot later. My mind: go back and rewrite now!!!

No comments: