Monday, May 4, 2009

Reviews

There's no excuse. I'm old enough to not "Twitter" but young enough to "Facebook", and yet I realize how little I know about anything technology-wise. Hence, my very simple blog here that I am having some difficulty navigating. I'm several years behind on this blogging phenomenon, so I'm discovering some very interesting finds along the way, which includes the fantastic "Smart Bitches, Trashy Books" website.

Now, yesterday I did what I didn't want to do but wanted to do instinctively: I went back and started rewriting the first few chapters. This is partially because I read a blog about writing and the number of words and/or pages a novel typically requires, and I'm far behind on both accounts. And, I couldn't get over what Mary Higgins Clark said about how she likes a solid first 50 pages. I haven't read Mary Higgins Clark since middle school, but the woman's a writing machine and a smashing success in her genre. I think she knows a bit more than I do.

During a break - I tend to have a lot of these which I need to eliminate - I was searching the web and came across the SBTB site. Nice. Something I should have thought to do years and years ago, but these women are smarter and sassier than I'll ever be, so kudos to them. One of their recent reviews was for Lisa Kleypas's new contemporary, "Smooth Talking Stranger". It received a B+! For me, a B+ is close to failure (I once cried and threw a fit at a teacher in high school telling him B+ was not an option). Lisa Kleypas writes the most steamy, wonderful romantic fiction. I didn't get it. Then I found the very interesting rant against Gaelen Foley! My goodness...

If there was anything to stump my writing, it was the SBTB site. If writers that I aspire to become get reamed, how well would I fare? Not very well! This kept me up a bit longer last night than it should have. This morning when I woke up, I refused to let it bother me as I turned on my laptop. Everything is subjective...love, romance, relationships. It is only natural that books and readers' response would be the same as well, no?

SBTB is still fantastic. IF and WHEN my book ever comes out, I would be scared to send it along for review, though. Shaking in my Hessian boots - that I stole from my older gentleman brother as I cross-dress to run away from my evil guardian to stow on a ship to be ravished by a dashing pirate sort!

No comments: